Thursday, February 16, 2006

 

Thursday Thirteen

The Last Thirteen Jobs I've Had



1. Computer Science Professor. This is one of the most fun jobs that I've had. It has lots of freedom and allows me to use my creativity. I'm still not sure what to say when students ask a question that I don't know - do I admit it, or just make something up?

2. Research Assistant, Graduate School. This job has a lot of potential, but has very little structure which can be a downside for me. I beginning to think that this whole business about publishing scholarly articles is just a racquet perpetuated by the academic journals. Does anyone really read these anyway?

3. Software Developer, Industrial Robotics. This company had no management structure, no supervisors, and provided a great kitchen with all the food you could eat. Unfortunately, everybody worked long hours and there were some difficult employees who were coddled.

4. Software Developer, Elumens Corp. Great stock options and pay until the company went bust. The masseuse was a great perk though.

5. Software Developer, NASA. Upside - the International Space Station project that I was on was high visibility and interesting. Downside - it was managed and financed like a big government program.

6. Software Developer, Mei Tech. I was able to work with my best friend and didn't have to fear for my family's physical safety (see number 7).

7. Software Developer, Full Immersion Virtual Environments. By far, the most bizarre and memorable job I've ever had. One day I was both praised as the favorite employee and cussed out by my boss all within an afternoon. The boss would occasionally show up drunk, or with a goat, or maybe a llama. Honestly. And the boss would call up my wife and harass her till she was in tears. moving on ...

8. Airman, U.S. Air Force. Enjoyed wearing camouflage and writing software for expensive equipment. Never had to shoot anyone. Would highly recommend it.

9. Desk Clerk, Hotel. All kinds of cool stories from this job about what people do on business trips.

10. Breakfast cook. Trying to get to work at 5am was really difficult, but I sincerely needed the money. Upside - all the bacon I could eat.

11. Opryland Hotel. About 6,000 guest rooms and one of the largest convention centers in the country. Every day there would be at least one employee who would get lost in the hotel (there were about 4,000 employees).

12. Draftsman, O'Sullivan Plastics. I did construction drawings for a new factory and got to see it built. I enjoyed this job quite a bit. I also got to see how construction workers act when they accidentally wreck $300,000 cranes.

13. Heating and Air Conditioning Installation. There's nothing like crawling in to a 140 degree attic and getting fiberglass insulation all over your body. Then there was the time my coworker fell down through the ceiling into a lady's living room.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I'll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




Comments:
#7 was definitely the most memorable - who could forget the dead llama, packed in ice, in the boss' bedroom?!

My TT are up!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?